- Scene: Leslie in other room, I am watching TV
- Leslie: "Are you watching porn?"
- Me: "No"
- Leslie: [pause] "That really sounds like porn"
- Me: "Definitely not porn"
- Leslie: [Leslie enters room] "Oh, it's the weather channel"
My car is cursed with an AM/FM Radio / CD player. Way back in the day circa 2003, a CD player in your car was enough to stick your nose up at people with “just” a tape deck. 8 years later, I never use CD’s and would kick a kangaroo to have a tape deck just for the ability to have an iPod adapter. ”Why don’t you use one of those radio adapter things?” Good question metaphorical voice in my head! I don’t have a working cigarette lighter and I have never met one of those adapter things that a worth a damn. Ergo, I am resigned to either CD’s or radio and seriously, who still uses CD’s?
Which brings me to the main point, have you listened to your oldies radio station lately? It is all I listen to anymore! Oldies 95.7 in Seattle plays “hits from the 60’s and 70’s” (basically, my wheelhouse) which essentially means that they never play bad music. It is incredible. Leslie makes fun of me for it, but she also says it’s “cute” so clearly she loves the station too.
They may play a bit too much James Taylor for my taste, but the flip side is that I like Billy Joel a lot more than I realized.
It’s frustrating to watch because it’s not like Ken and Brad don’t know the answer, they just can’t ring in faster than a machine can. Ironically, Watson is doing the same thing that Ken Jennings did during his run and dominating the timing of clicking the buzzer, except that Watson has a much faster reactionary time when it knows the answer than a human does.
Very delayed post but, whatever. Quite a bit of stuff happened to me last year and what better way to relive everything than in chronological list form grouped by month. This is mostly just for me and my reference so feel free to close the browser window and skip right over it. If you are still here, good for you. Here we go, on with the show…
- Ran in the new year in good old Issaquah at the future sister-in-law’s house
- Ran a personal best at the P.F. Chang’s Arizona Rock ‘N Roll 1/2 Marathon and Marathon (just the 1/2 Marathon part) in Phoenix with Leslie over MLK Day weekend. And yes, you must refer to it by its full name at all times.
- Restlesssoul turned 7 years old (wow!)
Went to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver! Went to Ski Jumping, Short Track Speed Skating, and Luge. So much fun, would definitely do it again.
- My mom somehow was an official volunteer for the Olympics and got to drive around dignitaries and athletes in Whistler for 2 weeks.
- On her way back to Michigan, took my mom up Roche Harbor to show it off
- Joined on to help out with Point Inside
- Got our engagement photos taken, proceeded to do nothing with them out of laziness
- Went to the dentist for the first time in YEARS. Still hate it.
- Sounders home opener vs. expansion side Philadelphia Union (we won 2-0)
- Entered the senior year of my 20’s
- Went to Indianapolis for my nephew Jake’s 2nd birthday
- Streeter came to visit and we played golf in the rain
- Took my cousin Brie on a one-day tour of Seattle when she was visiting for work
- President Obama delivered the commencement address at the University of Michigan. I wasn’t there, but it was still a big deal.
- Penny started agility training (she LOVES it)
- Lost Finale - so long show that I came to late but still was able to facilitate long and in-depth talks with my sister
- Saw Rain, a Beatles tribute band which was surprisingly good
- Met with our florist and Minister in Friday Harbor
- WORLD CUP!!!
- Back to Michigan for an engagement party and hanging out in Ann Arbor
- US v Algeria - scared the dog by running and yelling around the house when Donovan scored
- Ran Seattle Rock ‘N Roll 1/2 Marathon
- Saw Blue Rodeo (one of Leslie’s favorites) live
Wedding cake tasting. Why did we only do one of these?
- World Cup Final
- Travelled to the Palo Alto mothership for various meetings and whatnot
- Hosted unsuccessful garage sale
- Bachelor Party in Santa Cruz, CA. Surfing, Golf, Hiking, and one or two drinks
- Successfully defended a speeding ticket in court. Miserable experience
- Vesting and ‘Viewing
- Leslie joins the 29er club
- Ljundberg’s return to Seattle in a Fire uniform (Grrr)
- Bought a fancy-pants camera and still trying to learn how to use it properly
- Umich Football opening day
- Umich Soccer playing in Seattle vs Seattle U
- Robby visited in between trips with Backroads
- My Aunt + Uncle (x2) in town to start their big Pacific Northwest vacation
- Took my mom to her first Sounders game
Put a ring on it at Roche Harbor Resort
- Whisked her away to Kauai, HI
- Became mayor of the Grand Hyatt Kauai Water Slide and received a Pineapple Boat in honor of my achievement
- Played ocean course golf in Hawaii at Kauai Lagoons
- Suffered through some severe post-Hawaii depression
- Sounders win the US Open Cup (again)
- Sounders made the playoffs (again)
- Penny turned 2 years old!
- Purchased tickets for the best cirque de soleil show of all time. Ever.
- Went to West Lafayette, IN for Purdue vs Michigan football game, spent one night in Chicago on the way back.
- Had the week of Thanksgiving off of work and did absolutely nothing. It was wonderful.
- Ran a personal best at the Las Vegas Rock ‘N Roll 1/2 Marathon
- Played in the Starfire Chistmas Tournament (Soccer). Didn’t do very well
- Went to Michigan for Christmas via Chicago
- Stayed in a corner suite at the Hotel Conrad in Chicago and it was as fantastic as it sounds
- Bookended the year by celebrating the New Year with Jenny and Dan after some good skiing
And there it is. I sure took a lot of trips this year, especially to Michigan. If you made it this far, thanks for indulging me and come again!